Australian Bilateral Agreements with Schengen Countries

Of course, this article should not be interpreted as real legal advice on visas. Visas and other entry and exit requirements are complex and can change in the short term, so you should always check with the embassy or consulate of the country you are visiting for the latest advice. Australia has bilateral working holiday visa agreements with the following countries: Visa waiver agreements differ in key areas. If you plan to use these agreements, you should know that you are not breaking any rules. For most immigration officers in the Schengen area, the right of Australian passport holders to travel freely is governed by the 90 days allowed by the Schengen Agreement. If you have stayed longer under a bilateral visa waiver agreement, you may need to prove its existence. Once you`ve worked out your itinerary, write to the appropriate embassies in Canberra and explain as briefly as possible your plans for how long you want to stay in their country as well as elsewhere in the Schengen area, and take a printed copy of their answer with you – you`ll probably need it. Greece, Spain, France, Hungary, Portugal and Sweden only accept regular passports, while in all other cases, Canada`s bilateral visa waiver agreements are available to holders of all types of passports. The European AIS Training Centre (AIS ETC) in Gavirate, Italy, recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Italian authorities on behalf of the Minister of Sport. This agreement will make it easier for people working and training at AIS ETC to obtain visas for a stay of more than 90 days up to a maximum period of 365 days.

In general, a visa gives you access to the country, but must then be converted into a “residence permit” that allows you to stay longer than the 90 days (up to 365 days). Only persons domiciled in Italy with a residential address on or near the AIS ETC are entitled to this “permit”. Successful granting of the permit allows the holder to move freely for one year for training and competitions in the EU-Schengen area. It is important to note that obtaining a visa through our letter of intent with Italy is not the side door to the EU`s Schengen area. People who train with a European club and do not use the AIS ETC as their main base will have to arrange the long-term visa through that club or in the country where they will be staying. A number of Schengen states grant student visas if you are enrolled in an approved course. These visas are issued if the study exceeds 90 days. In addition to paying for the visa, you will also have to pay for your course, and some countries will need information about where you will live during your studies. At the end of the period of validity of the ETIAS, third-country nationals may continue to apply for a longer stay in a country where a bilateral visa waiver agreement has been concluded. Since the ETIAS expires after 90 days, foreigners must stay in the respective country beyond this border. The ETIAS visa waiver for Europe will be introduced at the end of 2022. To cross an external border of the Schengen area, citizens of non-European visa-exempt countries must apply for ETIAS.

While many EU countries make their visa-free travel program available to all passport holders, some only allow certain types of passports. During the processing of the application, one is free to travel within the Schengen area of the EU, but the person must always travel with the receipt of the Permesso di Soggiorno quote and his passport at the post office. The applicant must return to Italy on the date indicated for the collection of his Permesso di Soggiorno. This must be done in person. If the applicant does not show up on the pick-up date or within 30 days of the specified date, the application will be cancelled. Essentially, these visa waiver agreements allow Australian passport holders to reside in these countries without affecting the 90 days they are granted under the Schengen Agreement. The usual period granted under Visa Waiver Agreements is 90 days. While the visa policy of the Schengen area applies to the whole region, bilateral visa waiver agreements are concluded between certain third countries and the different EU Member States. The length of stay and other conditions vary depending on the nationality of the visitor, his destination and the type of passport he holds. On the other hand, South Korea is the non-EU country that has agreements with most EU member states, followed by Japan.

As one of the EU`s strategic partners, Japan maintains good relations with the EU on the basis of common objectives and values. This is reflected in the large number of visa waiver agreements. These agreements allow Australian citizens to spend up to 90 days in any state without reference to the time they have spent in other Schengen states. However, if you are visiting a Schengen state that is not on the list above, the rule “90 days in a 180-day period for the entire Schengen area” applies. If you have exceeded months and you are leaving via France, Greece, Italy or Spain, you have a very high chance of getting by without any problems. Passport control can literally take a few seconds. They give you a brief overview, scroll down to the first available page, stamp it and you`re done. There`s always a risk of being discovered if you stay too long, but Southern Europe is a safe enough place to leave if you do. The EU`s Schengen area covers 22 of the 28 EU Member States, with the exception of Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania. The Schengen area includes Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, as well as three European micro-states – Monaco, San Marino and Vatican City. Since the agreement is concluded with a single European nation and not with the entire Schengen area, it is not possible to travel from one country to another after the initial 90-day period.

The actual period during which you have the right to stay in a country under the Visa Waiver Agreements varies. In most cases, it is 90 days, but there are exceptions. For example, in Belgium, it is 60 days. The European Union plans to introduce a new entry/exit system at the external borders in 2020. The Entry/Exit System will be a central database covering all entries and exits to and from the Schengen area. Therefore, it becomes impossible to get away with overtaking. The fact is that bilateral agreements older than the Schengen agreement would turn the new entry/exit system into a royal mess. To address this issue, the Council of the European Union is in the process of amending Article 20.2 as follows: With the exception of Belgium (2 months), all bilateral agreements between New Zealand and the EU allow stays of up to 90 days and, in most cases, all passports are accepted. Australia has bilateral visa waiver agreements with Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway and Sweden. In accordance with Article 60 of Regulation (EU) 2017/2226, visa-exempt third-country nationals may remain in the Schengen area for more than 90 days in a period of 180 days only in exceptional circumstances or on the basis of a bilateral agreement. In the 1950s, Australia signed bilateral visa waiver agreements with a number of European countries. At various times, the list included Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Some of these countries have since repealed these agreements, and the agreement with France came later, but for the most part, these agreements still exist and apply despite the restrictions that apply to Australian travellers under the Schengen Agreement. Upon arrival in Italy: Once the applicant arrives in Italy within eight days of arriving in Italy as the first point of entry into the EU-Schengen area via an Italian post office, the person must receive a “kit” for a Permesso di Soggiorno (residence permit) and submit the application through an Italian post office. The application will then be sent to the Italian Immigration Service (Questura). The cost is about € 152.00. At the time of submitting the application for a Permesso di Soggiorno, an appointment is made with the Questura – usually months later, when the photos are taken in passport format; a cover letter from the AIS and/or ONS indicating the reasons for the stay and the financial support; and proof of health insurance; and travel insurance is available. This loophole is one of the few ways to enter Schengen without a stamp. Why would you want to enter Schengen without a stamp? Because you have already used your 90 days and you want to go back. Once you enter Spain, there is no proof of how long you stayed in Gibraltar before crossing. You could have been there one day up to 2 months. This can work to your advantage. Similarly, if you have stayed in Schengen, you can definitely cross here without any problems and then fly from Gibraltar.

In the correspondence received by the FDFA, they suggested that we visit the embassies of the above-mentioned countries to determine their currency and validity. As an Australian, you can spend 90 days in Germany in addition to those 90 days under a bilateral agreement, but you are still limited to your 90 days out of 180 in the rest of Schengen. This article contains information on agreements between the EU and third countries on visa-free travel and how third-country nationals can benefit from a longer stay in Europe. .